How to find out if you could save money on your water tariff

If you live in England or Wales


If you spend a lot on water because of a medical condition or because you have a large family, could you save with WaterSure?

WaterSure is a scheme that helps people living in England or Wales who must use a lot of water because of the size of their family, or a health condition. If you are on the WaterSure tariff, your supplier does not charge you for the extra water you use compared to an average household.

Some people find that switching to the WaterSure scheme halves the amount they spend on water each year.


To be eligible for WaterSure

You must live in England or Wales, have a water meter installed or be waiting for one to be installed, and receive one or more of the following benefits:

  • Universal Credit
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit (England, Scotland, Wales)
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit (other than just the family element)
  • Some water suppliers will also offer WaterSure if you receive Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payment (PIP). Check your suppliers website, or get in touch with them to find out if yours does.


In addition, someone in the household must:

be entitled to receive Child Benefit for three or more children of school age (under 19), or

have a diagnosed medical need to use more water. Some examples of medical conditions are:

  • Desquamation (flaky skin disease)
  • Incontinence
  • Abdominal stoma
  • Eczema, psoriasis or varicose ulceration (weeping skin disease)
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Ulcerative colitis
  • Renal failure requiring dialysis at home (unless the health authority contributes to the cost of water consumed in the dialysis process)
  • Any other medical condition that requires the use of significant additional water and can be supported with a doctor’s certificate.

How to switch to WaterSure

  1. Visit your water supplier’s website.
  2. Find and complete the WaterSure application form.

Tip: Be ready to provide information about your circumstances, and have proof of your eligibility to hand. If you need help or a paper copy of the application, get in touch with your supplier.

If you don’t know who supplies your water

Visit and enter your postcode to find out.

If you live in Scotland or Northern Ireland

Scotland and Northern Ireland do not have WaterSure. If you are finding it hard to afford your water bills, contact your supplier and tell them what is happening. They may be able to help you.

If you need help paying your water bills because you are on a low income, could you save money with a Water Social Tariff?

Water Social tariffs charge you less for water. If you get a lower household income, you may be able to switch to a water social tariff.

Each water supplier sets their own water social tariff. To check if you can switch to one and find out how much you might save:

  • visit,
  • find and click on your water supplier to see what social tariffs they offer,
  • visit your supplier’s website or get in touch with them to discuss switching tariffs.

If you don’t know who supplies your water

Visit and enter your postcode to find out.