If you have additional support needs that make it difficult to manage your energy and water accounts

Do you need extra help with everyday things related to managing your energy and water accounts?


This could be because:

  • you need your bills and letters in larger font, braille, Easy Read, or another language,
  • no one in your home can read or top up your meter easily,
  • you need to talk using a textphone,
  • you need a translator for phone calls.

If you do, sign up for the Priority Services Register (PSR).

This free service makes sure that water and energy companies know how best to support you.